(Adapted from Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman)
1. You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, but make the best of it, because it's going to be with you the rest of your life.
2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called Life on Planet Earth. Every person or incident is the Universal Teacher.
3. There are no mistakes - only lessons. Growth is a process of experimentation. "Failures" are as much a part of the process as "successes".
4. A lesson is repeated until learned. It is presented to you in various forms until you learn it. Then you can go on the next lesson.
5. If you don't learn easy lessons, they get harder. External problems are a precise reflection of your internal state. Pain is how your subconscious gets your attention. First it whispers. Then it yells. When you clear inner obstructions, your outside world changes.
6. You will know you've learned a lesson when your actions change. Wisdom is practice, practice, practice. And remember, a little of something is better than a lot of nothing.
7. "There" is no better than "here". When your "there" becomes a "here" you will simply obtain another "there" that again looks better than "here".
8. Others are only mirrors of you. You cannot love of hate something about another unless it reflects something you love or hate in yourself.
9. Your life is up to you. Spirit provides the canvas. You do the painting. There are three kinds of people: those who make things happen; those who watch what happens; and those who wonder what happened. Take charge of your life or someone else will.
10. You always get what you want. Your subconscious rightfully determines what energies, experiences and people you attract. Therefore, the only foolproof way to know what you want is to see what you have. Corollary law: if you settle for what you have, you deserve what you get.
11. There is no right or wrong, but there are consequences. Corollary law: no one gets away with anything, everything has a value and a price; you pay now you pay later.
12. To better understand your existence and convey ideas with others, you will need to learn and use both verbal and written forms of a primitive communication called words. Words are abstract associations of ideas, subjective to the thoughts and ideas of the user. Unfortunately they are the most reliable media in this existence so use them well. (Added by Steven Thode, 1993)
by S. Thode:
Many of the answers to the complexities of life lie in the simplicity of existence itself.
Words are knowledge, experience is wisdom.
Once you make the realization that there is a bigger picture, the inevitable conclusion is that there may always be a bigger picture than what you realize.
"I know enough to know that I know nothing!" - Socrates
"Few people are able to express with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are unable to form such opinions." - Albert Einstein
"...Irony is fates most common form of expression." - Trevanian
"I gave my life to become the person I am today. Was it worth it?" - Richard Bach
Compiled by Steven Thode. Last updated December 21st, 1996
Back to Homepage